Friday, February 19, 2016

Nintendo Badge Arcade: I'm at my limit!

Okay, no more defending this game. I actually reviewed it at some point, but never posted said review, about how the Badge Arcade got a bad rap since you didn't have to pay for it. Technically there didn't seem to be any downfall. I'd play the game, win badges, stick them on my home menu, and wait for the next day. However, today I realized the horrible truth about Nintendo's Badge Arcade; even that is too much to ask.

I turned on the game and headed into the practice catcher as usual. It was a particularly easy one with an ice bottom and a lot of practice badges to collect, so I got over twenty practice badges and two free plays. Then I collected one of those red badges that gives three goes. Delighted, I eagerly went through and collected actual badges. In the end I knocked out a Fire Emblem catcher and grabbed a few various Mario Kart ones and a puppet Toon Link. All was looking good and I returned to the menu.

After only putting two of the many badges down I was hit with a message saying I hit the main menu badge type limit. I couldn't believe this; the badges were in my 3DS anyway, why on Earth would there be a limit?! Putting them on the menu and looking through them was practically the only thing I could do with them anyway, so why would that be limited? I don't think they think I'll use up all my memory, and if I do that should be my choice and not theirs to make.

This brought up so many more problems. I've got to wonder if I would be allowed a wider limit if I would've sunken money into the game, which is absolutely out of the question. I spend my money very carefully and a dollar could buy me a lot more than a badge that I can't use inside a virtual game. Hell, with that money I could probably find a real badge catcher and then get one I can do other things with.

Of course there's posting it online. You get a nice theme, put characters down, and then arrange a nice picture... Except for one thing; even themes are off limit to the nonpaying public. You get themes after putting out money, not before. From what I'm aware of you can't even look at them until you put out something. That's pitifully underhanded and a poor business choice. If I was going to shell out money for a theme I would most likely shell out the money after I saw what it was worth, not before just to buy a few free plays for useless pictures I have a limit on.

Now the defense could be stated that, again, I am not paying so I can't complain. How am I supposed to pay for something when it has no value?! These badges literally aren't good for anything and everything comes with a limit or a price tag. Dirty pool, Mister, dirty pool.

So what now? Well, I quit the badge arcade and I stop backing up the blasted thing. There is nothing to really do with it anymore regardless; I only enjoyed putting all the ones I collected onto my menu and no longer can even do that. I'll do what I've done before; cut it off and fight the urge to go back. It is certainly not worth it at this rate.

As for the badges already collected I can't really do much except leave them there and let them collect dust... Oh wait, they can't even do that.

I remember the Rabbit once asking about a badge game so I'd say they're probably going to release, eventually, a game that the badges work for. You'll pay some money to buy the game and then use the badges, being tempted to return to the arcade for more, and at least then there might be a temptation if the game was good.

For now I'll sleep just fine without the badge arcade and lament the time I wasted along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment